Can I change from a ‘Common Anniversary’ back to using ‘Individual Anniversary’ dates?

We would recommend that when a common anniversary date is being considered, seek advice from the Department of Labour to gain a full understanding of the rules surrounding the use of common dates. If you are moving to an individual date, you may need the permission  of the employee. It is more common to use an individual date.

To change the date to an individual anniversary date

It is only possible to revert to using ‘Individual Anniversary’ dates for new employees and existing employees that have been employed for less than a year.

If you untick the ‘Common Anniversary ‘date option all existing employees who have been employed for more than 12 months should keep this anniversary date.

Existing employees that have been employed for less than a year will need the “Anniversary Dates” changed to 12 months from their start date.

New employees can be set up using their “Individual Anniversary Date”.

common anniversary date


Lynley Averis

Lynley is an MYOB Certified Consultant & has been involved in training in New Zealand since 1985. She's written various accounting & MYOB workbooks including co-authoring “Bookkeeping for Dummies”. She has consulted on all versions of MYOB Accounting, Retail and Payroll over the past 18 years and has previously worked for MYOB. She currently consults to NZ businesses on all aspects of business systems - her mission for clients is for them to spend as little time as possible doing accounting!